Monday, August 21, 2006

And the view from 12th Street is just delightful

Hey all,

I apologize for the radio silence for the last week. Been hectic, but I'll tell you now that Paul dropped out of the Rally in Tashkent about 10 days ago, to head home to New York, after stomach non-cooperation issues. I continued on from Tashkent with Team Globalisation Institute (at that point just Anthony Batty) and we made our way through the Ferghana Valley of Uzbekistan (where we were stopped by the cops SEVENTEEN times in one afternoon) and into phenomenally gorgeous, and ridiculously inaccessible Kyrgyzstan - without a doubt the highlight of the Rally. Most unbelievably stunning place I've ever seen, and also, the best driving I've ever had in my life. Apparently the roads have been repaired in recent years. And once through Kyrgyzstan, back into Kazakhstan and lovely, cosmopolitan Almaty. Anthony trudged on north towards Siberia, but even with an extension from work, I could not promise that I'd be back in the office on time, so, with a slightly heavy heart, I left the Rally from Kazakhstan. I tell you all this so that you all know that we're home, and that once I get a few more minutes in front of the old intertron, I will post as many photos as blogger will allow.

3 Comments:

Blogger LizardBreath said...

Yay, Audrey!!! You're home!!!

3:48 PM  
Blogger Raven Alita said...

so glad you made it home safe and sound... can't wait to see all the pics!

4:01 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

Thanks guys, we had been pretty out of touch since south Kazakhstan and were really hoping to see you guys in UB. It wasn't until we got there that we heard the news that you weren't going to make it -- tragic! Still I know that by Almaty we had had the trip of a lifetime already, and you can confort yourselves knowing that Siberia was kind of boring. It was always a pleasure to run into you on the road, and glad to know you made it back safe.

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home