Saturday, June 24, 2006

Twelve days

The Rally itself might start in about a month - actually, a month minus two days - but for Pablo, the morning of July 5th will be the beginning of the Final Planning Phase (FPP), i.e. when I leave for London. (I have to thank Audrey for reminding me about the whole "buy a ticket to London, idiot" thing.) On the morning after the 230th anniversary of our nation's independence, I will honor the memory of my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather, John Lefferts (who was a lieutenant in Washington's army and later a Congressman), by traveling to the seat of the British Empire. (Yes, that's "Lefferts," as in "Lefferts Boulevard." No, I did not make that all up.)

And so, on the morning of July 5th, I will "jump the pond" on the wings of Virgin Atlantic; that evening I will land, full of energy and complimentary wine, at Heathrow Airport. Once there, I will begin crossing off the many items on our "to-do" list - get the car, put sponsors' names all over said car, and probably sleep in the car, among many, many other things.

Audrey and I are discussing the aformentioned "to-do" list; I won't bore you with it, but suffice to say, it's long. I of course will document every step of the way via digital photography once I get there.

And now a word about The Party.

The Party is taking place on June 29th. These people, Paul and Audrey, are driving...right, you probably know that part by now. Well, if you're reading this, then there is a good chance you're coming to Verlaine on Thursday the 29th. And there's also a good reason why you are coming that night. It's because you're a friend or loved one of Paul or Audrey or both. It's because you want to share in the incredible buzz that is surrounding Team Newyorkistan. It's because you want a piece of the incredible aura generated by going on a wacky road trip for charity. There are many reasons why you will be there, and all good ones. This bar can hold about 150 to 170 people; I think that we are going to fill it up. Everyone there - every single person - will be part of the Team Newyorkistan family ("Backseat Drivers," we like to call them.) You're going to be with us on the 29th, and you're going to be with us from July 22nd until the moment we reach Ulan Bataar, because you're all part of the adventure.

Long story short, it's going to be huge, so don't miss it.

PH

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home