Monday, March 27, 2006

Just 72 or so hours

...until the greatest fundraiser ever. I am amazed at the enormity of this event. I am also amazed at how hot an item our t-shirts are, with their bold colors and sharply drawn map of the winding route that will be taken by many a Rallyer. I am amazed at how many people are taking part in the Mongol Rally, too. Four hundred people are wacky enough to be doing this. I get the feeling that, when border guards see us, they will say something to the effect of "more Rally people! All right!" (cuz we're all awesome. At least, the Rallyers I have corresponded with so far are.)

Scratch that. The border guards will be surprised to see Westerners because we will be first. Yeah, right, not a race bla bla bla. Whatever, I'm driving as fast as our 100-pound car (price, not mass) will take us.

My father and sister, talented singers both, are quite eager to regale the crowds. I can't wait to meet all of Audrey's friends and family, especially that one that Audrey insists would be really into me and we'd go together so well and she just won't shut up about her! Thanks for tryin' to set me up, Audrey :) We'll see how it goes.

I am trying to get a hold of the people at the various consulates who are authorized to give group discounts on their exorbitantly-priced visas (a double-entry Kazakh tourist visa is second only to a college degree in the "costly documents" category.) Perhaps I will use reverse psychology..."ok, fine, I won't come to your country (hang up angrily)"...and then see how long it is until they hit *69 and beg me to reconsider. Or, I'll just politely ask for the discount.

Making auction posters with Audrey over the weekend was fun, as was modeling our t-shirts. There are some excellent bargains to be had; where else can you sponsor a car that will be traveling such a Herculean distance? (Note that the person who sponsors the car gets their name etched prominently on the side of it. People in a dozen countries will know that you sponsored us, and after all is said and done, some Mongolian teenager's first car will have your name on it.)

All very exciting stuff. More coming. See you all soon.

PH

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home